Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Will Your Baby Be Vegan?

source
I fell in love with an amazing man---who loves meat. I do cook him meat, dairy, and eggs. Why would a vegan do such a thing? Well, because I love him and want him to be happy. And he doesn't get meat every day, and he is a good sport about it. He eats vegans things quite often. What person would ever turn down a delicious home cooked meal in general?

So the most common question I have been asked since I announced I was pregnant is "Will the baby be raised vegan or not vegan?" The answer is both I guess. I want to respect Michael's wishes, and he wants to respect mine. So we made the compromise to let the baby try all kinds of healthy foods, and when he's old enough, he can decided for himself.....but let's be honest here. I am the one who will be taking care of him most of the time (my choice), so he is going to end up eating a lot more vegan food.

source
And for the most part, babies are meant to be vegan from the start. Their digestive systems are not ready for complex things right away. Hence why babies nurse first , then try cereals and veggies, then move on to other proteins and fats. As long as you ensure that your baby gets enough fats, protein, and vitamins from the plant-based diet, there is nothing wrong with it. Check out the post from my other blog about Vegan Myth Busting, it explains how you can have a balance diet as a vegan. 

Then there is the annoying question.... usually from someone who is a major meat eater. The kind of person who feels the need to rub it everyone's face and insult your lifestyle choice despite the fact you never said anything about it. "Are you going to breastfeed? That's milk and milk isn't vegan!!!"

First of all, there is a difference between cow's milk and human milk. We are designed to drink human milk! It's the whole reason we are mammals! We have boobs for a reason. We produce milk when we have children for a reason. I am willingly giving my milk to my baby, no one is forcing me. And when it dries up, he will eat solid food. 
That ain't natural...source
People are not really meant to drink cow's milk. Yes, over time and out of necessity our ancestors began to consume it as a means of survival. That was their choice, and a very understandable one. But we have better nutrition and access to food now, we now have the ability to consume whatever we want. And if cow's milk is not really meant for us, I have the choice to not drink it. Plus, cows are not willingly giving us their milk. They are pumped full of hormones and forced to be milked even though they don't have calves (and will most likely never be pregnant). That's not natural. Me making my own milk for my child is extremely natural.

*By the way, I am not judging women who can't or chose not the breastfeed. I understand everyone has different circumstances, I am just stating what I believe work for me.



1 comment:

  1. MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
    Removals company Southport
    Removals company Southport

    ReplyDelete